The Lyra Society At a Glance
GLISSANDO Education Program Facts:
Lyra currently employs three Teaching Artists in four schools providing 20 harps and weekly private lessons and group classes to 27 students.
- Central High School, 4 students
- Girard Academic Music Program, 4 students
- Kearny School, 4 students
- Masterman School, 4 students
- Philadelphia High School for Girls, 4 plus a group class of 11 with room for 15
|# of Schools||1||2||4||5||5|
|# of Students||4||8||16||20||27|
Additional GLISSANDO Programs:
- Four GLISSANDO students attended the Elizabeth Hainen Harp Colony at the Curtis Institute of Music on full scholarship in summer 2016.
- Three students had concert grand pedal harps placed in their homes for summer practicing through the Lyra Loan Program.
- Three students are currently participating in the All-City Orchestra program for 2016-2017.
- The Lyra Society has given three to five in – school presentations each year, which exposed thousands of students across the district to the harp. Hundreds of students have tried the harp hands on through ‘Harp Tryouts’, a more intimate classroom size presentation.
Costello Competition for Composition Facts:
- In its fourth year, the Costello Competition has commissioned and published three new works for harp through engaging university composers across the nation.
- Since its founding in 2004, the Lyra Society has commissioned a total of thirteen new works for solo harp or harp with other instruments.